It’s mid-July and already we have been treated to some glorious summer days here in deepest Somerset. We hope it continues throughout the summer holidays and, in preparation, we need to get some homemade ice cream ready in the freezer.
This recipe creates a deliciously soft ice cream, the pistachio nuts giving it a grown-up richness.
Mr Filbert’s new trail mixes are perfect additions to this ice cream recipe, their sweet and salt flavours bringing new depths and textures to the recipe. We prefer the Salted Caramel Chocolate and Nut Mix here, chopping them roughly and mixing them through the ice cream mixture or sprinkling them over the ice cream once frozen.
Please note: You will need an ice cream machine for this recipe.
- 200g/7oz shelled unsalted pistachios
- 400g/14oz golden caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 500ml/18fl oz whole milk
- 300ml/10fl oz double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- finely grated rind of 2 oranges
- 1 packet of Mr Filberts Salted Caramel Mixed Nuts
- Put the pistachios, sugar, eggs, vanilla paste and milk in a food processor. Blitz until the pistachios are broken into tiny pieces.
- Tip the mixture into a saucepan and cook over a low heat until thickened. Leave to cool, then stir in the cream and orange rind.
- Separately, roughly chop the Mr Filberts Salted Caramel Mixed Nuts with a sharp knife.
- Either stir the Mr Filberts nuts loosely through the ice cream mix, or set them aside to sprinkle over the ice cream at the end.
- Transfer to an ice cream machine to churn until frozen.