It’s March, Spring is springing all around us here on the Somerset levels. We can see brand new lambs, glorious yellow daffodils and the first trees in blossom: it’s time to celebrate all that is fresh and green in the kitchen with a vibrant, fresh salad.
This wonderful recipe is full of goodness and flavour and extremely simple to make. It’s ideal for a quick weekday meal at the end of one of those first days of Spring when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the promise of warmer days to come is in the air.
Mr Filbert’s delicious Honey Roasted Seeds bring a sweet, crunchy contrast to the soft and salty smoked mackerel fillets: an inspired way to elevate a dish using Mr Filbert’s gourmet snacks.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (butter and a dash of sesame oil make a good substitute)
- 4 x 100g smoked mackerel fillets
- 5 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 4 cups Spring greens, roughly chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons of Mr Filbert’s Honey Roasted Seeds
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup dill leaves, roughly chopped
- dill sprigs to garnish
- olive oil
- Heat the coconut oil in the frying pan. Sautee the kale and Spring greens on medium heat until they brighten in colour (this takes 3-4 minutes). Remove from the heat and place in a large serving bowl. Add the spinach and seeds and toss gently.
- Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, mustard and dill in a small bowl or jug and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Break the mackerel into small pieces and toss through the salad. Divide between serving bowls, spoon over the yoghurt dressing, top with a sprig of dill, a drizzle of olive oil and a twist of freshly ground black pepper.