We’ve launched a delicious, limited-edition savoury snack to celebrate late Spring in all its glory.
Spring has well and truly settled in here in Somerset and the Levels are a constantly-changing scene as new wildflowers, blossoms and young animals appear across our view here at Mr Filberts.
This is the time for seeking out fresh wild produce, and one of our firm foraging favourites is wild garlic. Blankets of the plant can be found in woodland across the county at the moment, and walking among it releases the plant’s unmistakable scent, which hints at its flavour: fresher and more delicate than the garlic bulb, and perfect for many seasonal recipes.
This wonderful wild herb inspired us to create a limited edition snack for the season: Mr Filberts Spring Wild Garlic Mixed Nuts.
Roasted peanuts, cashews, almonds and hazelnuts are tumbled in wild garlic and herbs to create a seasonal savoury snack; delicious on its own but also perfect for creating a crunchy, flavoursome topping in dishes such as macaroni cheese.
Like the wild garlic itself, Spring Wild Garlic Mixed nuts will only be available for a short time, so to ensure you get to try this delicious savoury snack, visit our online shop.
Here’s a macaroni cheese recipe to try once the nuts arrive at your door, providing you can resist eating them all beforehand…
Macaroni cheese topped with limited edition Spring Wild Garlic Mixed Nuts
- 250g/9oz macaroni
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 40g/1½oz plain flour
- 600ml/1pint 1½fl oz milk
- 250g/9oz grated strong cheddar
- 50g/2oz grated parmesan
- 1tsp mustard powder
- 1 bag of Mr Filberts Spring Wild Garlic Mixed Nuts, finely chopped
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a larger saucepan. Add the flour and mustard powder and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, then cook for 10-15 minutes, whisking slowly all the time, until it has thickened into a smooth sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- Remove the sauce from the hob, add 175g/6oz of the cheese and stir until the cheese is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheddar, the parmesan and the chopped nuts and place the dish under the hot grill. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Keep an eye on it to ensure the top doesn’t burn.
- Add a small spring of fresh herbs, such as thyme and serve straight away with a crispy baguette.
Try our Spring Wild Garlic Mixed Nuts while stocks last by visiting our online shop.