Zingy Guacamole Dip
A sizzling and popular Mexican dish. The cool avocado and zingy lime will balance the flavours against the hot, smoky chilli. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips, over a jacket potato or alongside barbecued meat.
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil (or my Chipotle Chilli Oil)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 chipotle chillies, finely chopped
- 3 medium avocado, peeled and stone removed
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 limes, juice only
- 8 ripe tomatoes, cubed
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- Heat a little rapeseed oil in a frying pan and fry half the onion along with the garlic and a pinch of the chilli until the onion is soft. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the avocado flesh and stir in half the chopped coriander. Season with 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Blend to a paste with a stick blender.
- In another bowl, combine the tomatoes, rapeseed oil, sugar, the remaining onion and lime juice, and a little salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir through the remaining coriander, and also the remaining chopped chilli, to your taste.
- Spoon the tomato salsa into the bottom of a serving dish and then top with the guacamole purée.